Follow Me on Pinterest By: TwitterButtons.com

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Sinfully Amazing...

Every once in a while along my food journey I come across something so amazingly simple yet so unbelievably delicious. I did that this week while walking my way through my favorite site Pinterest. There was this recipe for homemade caramel using sweetened condensed milk. I could eat that stuff right out of the can as it is anyways, but you turn it into caramel, and I might just be hooked for life. 


I had a can of this gooey yumminess in my pantry so I decided I try to make it. Got out my huge pasta pot covered the can with water and boiled for 2 hours like the directions stated. I let it cool and when it was ready I opened the can to something wonderful!

That lovely sweetness had turned this golden brown color and tasted like that stuff you buy to dip your apples in, but ohhh 1000 times better because it was creamy. I have seen tons of recipes for salted caramel, so I wanted to "spice" up my version of this little sauce by adding my own flare. I got down the coarse sea salt that I always have in my pantry and sprinkled the top with a little. Then I sliced up a banana and granny smith apple and sat down with my little taste tester to see how it turned out. It got Hayes' 100 percent "mmm" approval. You know something is good when a 15 month old says "mmmmmm" and opens their mouths again and again to eat fruit. lol. I won't lie he, and I almost ate the entire can by ourselves that day, I figure it was like 1000 calories or something, but it was worth every single bit of those calories.

What is even better about this is you can make several cans at one time, leave them unopened and store them in your fridge. They would make a great topping for cheesecake, ice cream, cakes, cookies, whatever you might need caramel for. Plus its wayyyy cheaper than you can buy that dip for. It is definitely something I will make again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment