Follow Me on Pinterest By: TwitterButtons.com

Monday, November 7, 2011

Cooking is a lot like love...

You know I've been cooking a really long time and still to this day I screw up a recipe once in a while. I spend all day working on it, cooking, baking or whatever and it turns out HORRIBLE! Sometimes its because of a bad recipe, or my lack of skill, but whatever it is something just doesn't go right. This is usually the end result I always get when I try to make bread. Yes I'll admit it, I'm not good at the bread thing. Can make a 15 layer coconut cake, cook a roast like a pro, but can I made bread??... NOPE. I always do something wrong. Too much flour, not enough butter, too much kneading not enough... ugh... It frustrates me to no end, especially when I watch my Mom pull out this beautiful and perfect loaf the next day. Seriously Mom quit showing off already!

I guess though that is why I love cooking. It is so forgiving. Its a process of love that just grows and changes as you experiment. So that bread recipe didn't work, but if you keep looking you will eventually find that one recipe that works for YOU. It might not work for me, or your sister, or mother, but it works for you. Its very much like finding your soul mate, except its with food. You find this recipe that works for you and you stick with it. Year after year you make the same one and it turns out great. You teach your children how to make those recipes and it goes on and on down the line. I have ways of cooking things that my grandmother taught me, and her grandmother taught her. So actually the exact way I make beans is the same way my great great grandmother was doing it many many years ago. That is the beautiful thing about cooking. It is as much a part of your history as anything else. I think that is pretty neat!

So you might wonder if I ever did find a bread recipe that I can use... Yes I did! Its one that you don't have to knead! lol It comes out great every time and it keeps really well in the refridgerator so you can make rolls every day for a week if you like!

Here's the site with the recipe cause you KNOW I didn't write this lol:
http://theitaliandishblog.com/imported-20090913150324/2010/2/26/amazing-artisan-bread-for-40-cents-a-loaf-no-kneading-no-fus.html

No comments:

Post a Comment