Follow Me on Pinterest By: TwitterButtons.com

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Are you Southern Lady, or Chef?

I have been in a kitchen, well probably since birth, but I actually got involved with the cooking when I was about 3 years old. Pretty much every Sunday, I would sit on the counter and watch my Mee Mee cook for our family.  Once I got older I'd spend Summers with her, and without fail, we'd always cook my favorite meals. I've leard a lot about cooking from her, my Mom, and My KK. The three most important women in my culinary life. I've spent hours talking about recipes, how to cook, and just what it means to be a Southern Lady with those three women and I'm very thankful for them.


Anyone can be a cook, chef, or whatever you want to call it, but it takes a special person to be a Southern Lady. For one thing a Southern Lady cooks for everyone. When you come to her house you never go hungry. She is always ready to make something on the fly, and has a pantry that is always stocked with the basics for a quick whipped up meal or snack. In addition to that, she always has dessert. Its a must. There is nothing more southern than offering someone a piece of pie (pronounced p-eye) and coffee. A meal isn't a meal without something sweet to finish it off and most Southern girls have an arsenal of great recipes for just that occasion. The desserts aren't always super sweet or loaded with fat, my family is mostly German, and very few of their desserts are super icky sweet.  Dessert could be a simple jello mold, or even a cookie, but there is always a finish to a great meal. Its just well... tradition. Finally, a Southern Lady cooks everything with love. The greatest way a woman from the south can show love for her family and friends is by making sure their tummy is full. I can't remember a time when my Mee Mee didn't offer someone that came over something to eat, and I'm the exact same way. My son's friends want to come to his house because they know how Hunter's mom cooks! haha! Although when I'm standing over the stove for an hour cooking 2 lbs of bacon for eight 12 year old boys I might want to rethink this Southern thing.... Seriously they like their bacon!  But... I love it! Its all worth the smiles and thank you's when they have full and happy tummies!


God tells us to go and use the gifts that He has give us to the best of our abilites. To take every ounce of strength we have using those gifts for His glory. If my gift to this world is feeding people and teaching others how to do the same, then I am a very lucky woman because I love to cook and it makes me feel good knowing I provided the strength and nourishment for their journey!


So don't forget to sit down and enjoy a meal with your family today, make something sweet, and always cook with love!

No comments:

Post a Comment